HAPPY NEW YEAR!
2011! The year is coming to an end and it has been a long one. I’m doing this survey because it helps me reflect upon the year in the most sincere way, and that I’ve been doing this survey since 2006. This is one of those “bulletin surveys” that people used to take back in the MySpace era.
More importantly I want to keep this survey short, one of the most important lessons I learned this year is that people have very short attention spans, and that people will quickly move onto something else if it seems too daunting or demanding for them. Many of you will bypass this post however for those that read it, I am grateful.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
I took business and advertising/public relations classes, which I had never done before. I finally took the time and effort to make a commercially available EP which I worked with a mastering engineer to release online all over the internet, worldwide. The result came out to be some of the best sounding music (sound quality wise especially) that I have created to date, as of December 2011. I wrote, illustrated, and narrated a children’s book for my Visual Communication’s class in Fall 2011 at UCF. I tried Pad Thai, which is now one of my favorite dishes. I also started riding bicycles to Downtown Orlando on leisure days, I never did this before, because I thought it was too far for bicycling. Lastly, I started Butter Yo Bread, a music/entertainment blog which I moderate and post on a semi-regular basis. Working on the consistency part.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did! I worked hard all year long. I got As and Bs in my classes, and I made the Dean’s List. I saved my money for the most part, and got pretty good at time management, which was something I wanted to get better at this time in 2010.
I do have new years resolutions.
1. Graduate UCF
2. Make serious steps towards finding a meaningful career.
3. Make a decision about my life after graduating UCF.
4. Start downsizing and getting rid of things I no longer need.
5. Play shows regularly as Chris Big Money. I finally have the means to do it.
6. Release new Chris Big Money music, but do not rush to get albums out by a certain date. No more goofy one-off tracks.
7. Meet like minded people who like the same things I do. That means similar types of musicians, artists, and liberal minded people.
8. Take my health more seriously. I wanna look good naked.
9. Use Facebook/Twitter more effectively.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I didn’t even leave the state. Miami is still in Florida. 😦
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A backing. I need to get involved with other people. Less internet friends, more physical friends. I just want to surround myself with good people who support what I’m doing and vice versa.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 2011- Miles Birthday Extravaganza! I played a show at Uncle Lou’s and won over a crowd. I had so much fun up there. I wanna thank Miles for inviting me to play.
March 2011- Ultra Music Festival! AMAZING.
April 2011- Doing group projects for all my classes, including my online class. Busiest semester of my college experience. Even worse than the semester with all the theatre classes at Valencia.
April 15, 2011- 2nd Lady Gaga concert at Amway Arena
May 2011- Electric Daisy Carnival at Tinker Field! Great Memorial Day Weekend!!!
June 2011- Advertising class with Professor Joan McCain. Great teacher!
July 2011- Animal Collective concert at Beacham. It was a totally weird concert, both in a good and bad way.
August 2011- Visual Communication with Professor Ray Bush, one of my favorite classes in college!
August 2011- Grad Fair UCF
October 2011- Halloween weekend. Awesome costumes and fun times with friends and good music.
November 2011- M83 and Odd Future shows! Great week!
November 16. 2011- The due date for my children’s book project.
December 2011- Meeting Frank Michael Toothman and hanging out with my little sister Autumn.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Ultra Sinewaves EP. Peter and The Terrible Three. Making Dean’s List.
9. What was your biggest failure?
The “rock” album that never was released. It was a learning experience, but I learned that I am just not into making this kind of music, I enjoy listening to it, but my heart is in electronic music. Not having enough free time, and getting turned down for promotions at work because I failed to build relationships with co-workers I have nothing in common with.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought/Received?
I got a LPK 25 to use with Ableton Live when I make music. I got some pretty cool t-shirts this year too. I also got a guitar and effects pedal which I used for my “rock” album which never surfaced.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Electric Type and Luke Bredin. These two have done so much for me, especially in regards to supporting Chris Big Money, and I have never met either one of them yet! Cheers mates! Damiian David, keep making excellent music, and keep inspiring me to do what I wanna do. I wanna be like you when I grow up. Joe3- for being the blackest, most hood motherfucker I know who keeps it real at all times! Lauren, Amanda, Dylan, Miles, Justine, Victoria, Type Rider and everyone else who regularly comments on my Facebook posts. You people are awesome and know how to keep things so much more interesting!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Everyone except for the people who protested and stood up for their rights. Occupy Wall Street. Egypt. etc. You people are inspiration.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills. Music Festivals. Taxi cab rides. Restaurants.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Ultra. Ultra. Ultra.
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2010?
Fuck You, by Cee Lo Green. Such a good tune. It’s going to be hard to forget all those bubblegum pop songs that came out this year too. I listened to a lot more indie this year though. I went through so many musical phases this year. I wanna take all those ideas from each phase and continue to push myself harder in 2011. I posted a blog about my favorite 2010 albums here. https://butteryobread.wordpress.com
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? even, but I have a much more mature thought process now.
b) thinner or fatter? even.
c) richer or poorer? poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spending more time with people.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Talk about things such as “target audience” and “niche.” I picked up that behavior from my marketing classes, and it’s really an unnecessary way to categorize things, especially talk to people on a casual level using such terminology.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent it with my sister Renee watching Christmas themed movies and having a huge Christmas dinner at Golden Corral.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
22. How many one-night stands?
That is not appropriate talk for Facebook.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
I got into Arrested Development through my friend Ramiro. I also discovered Death Note which I started watching on Netflix.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Possibly, but they aren’t important enough to remember. Fuck haters.
25. What was the best book you read?
I read “Still I Rise” which is a graphic novel about African American history. I read The Girl Who Fell Into The Sky, Shit My Dad Says, and The Magic Lamp (a book about setting goals, for those who hate setting goals.) I liked all the books I read this year.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Musically, at the beginning of 2011 I was really into indie rock and the whole “lo-fi/chillwave” movement. After the Ultra Music Festival and Electric Daisy Carnival, I rediscovered electronic music. This year it was indie rock and electronic. And a little Odd Future here and there. I started using Spotify and the Hype Machine’s mobile app to seek out these really obscure music artists this year. I also picked up a fond admiration for kpop this year. The year has been great in terms of music. Particularly for the little sensitive guys and the party monsters.
27. What did you want and get?
Good question, but I know that answer.
28. What did you want and not get?
A chance. I’m looking for this in 2012 for real.
29. What were your favorite films of this year?
Too many sequels. Over 28 of them from what wikipedia says.
The Hangover Part II, Limitless, Sucker Punch, Insidious, The King’s Speech, Hanna, Thor, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Tree of Life, Super 8, Transformers: Dark Of The Moon, Horrible Bosses, Friends With Benefits, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Conan The Barbarian (remake), 50/50, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I do not recall my birthday this year, it was kinda chill.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
People. I meet people but it is very difficult to get people to stick around. Things became so fast paced in 2011.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Colorful T-Shirts, Boat Shoes, Funny Costumes, Combover Hairstyles, Sunglasses.
33. What kept you sane?
My music project, and going to the movies.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
A few. I liked a lot of actors/actresses. I really like Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Leavitt. Also, Skrillex the producer/dj.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Occupy Wall Street. The Egyptian Revolution protests.
36. Who did you miss?
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Luke Bredin. He’s a great dude and a great music engineer. My professors at UCF. I liked all my teachers this year.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Life is going by, at a much faster pace than ever imagined. If you don’t look around once in a while. You might just miss it. (Ferris Bueller quote)
Chris M aka Chris Big Money